Saturday, September 5, 2009

Why the 18th Century?

Good day, my little darlings! I see you've stumbled upon my humble little corner of the vast expanse that is the internet. Good for you! Your day is officially just a bit more glamourous.

Starting these things is always a bit awkward, isn't it? What to say? Well, I suppose I should explain why I felt compelled to make a "blog" all about the Age of Reason. But not before introductions! For our purposes here, you may refer to me as Marquise Elle- or "my lady," if you're feeling saucy.

Prince Regent
"I always feel saucy!"

But let's get down to brass tacks. I spend many of my weekends living in a tent, cooking over an open fire, and dressing up in clothes that went out of style over 200 years ago. In other words, I'm a Revolutionary War reenactor. I love being a living historian, but visiting the 18th century every couple of weekends simply isn't enough! Hence this blog was created. I hope to bring bits of the past into the present and into my everyday life, and hopefully into yours, the reader's, as well. And couldn't we all use a little more glamour? More powder, more fans, more courtly intrigue, more supportive undergarments?


"Tighter, Pierre!"

My weekends revolve around the American War for Independence, but I plan to cover all of the 18th century, and some European goings-on as well. To get us going, I give you a fantastic music video by the incomparable Annie Lennox, which I discovered on Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire's blog (and I recommend you all visit it). Here is Annie's video for "Walking on Broken Glass," full of 18th century courtly style, John Malkovich, and Hugh Laurie. What better way to begin?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GBn-BpkNsA

Unfortunately I can't embed it here. You'll just have to go to YouTube to enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Um, OMG! How did I not know about that video before!?!! It's amazing and now I am oh-so-much evermore in love with everyone in it.

    ReplyDelete